St. Alban’s Episcopal Church in Stuttgart, Ark., celebrated its 110th anniversary this past weekend, with a special celebration Saturday evening at the Grand Prairie Arts Center and a eucharist and meal Sunday morning at the church.
Saturday’s event was attended by more than 80 people. Evening Prayer was led by the Rev. Eric LeBrocq Jr., who grew up in St. Alban’s and is now a priest in the Diocese of Texas. Also in attendance was the Rev. John Ball, rector of St. Mary’s in St. Mary’s City, Md., and mentor to the Rev. Darrell Stayton, vicar of St. Alban’s.
In an article in the most recent issue of The Mason Jar, a regional magazine, Stephanie Fisher recounted the history of St. Alban’s, including the very earliest days:
“The land at what is now known as Main and 12th streets was purchased on Oct. 4, 1904, for $150 … The church was built for $850, thanks in part to local donations.”
According to a church history compiled by a parishioner, the church is named for the first English martyr and patterned after a country church in England